A modular immersion blender, food processor, and electric can opener set that preserves family recipes and brings generations together.
Women who cook home-made spaghetti sauce as part of traditional meals and family heritage.
As people grow older, cooking becomes more difficult with age. The current cooking appliances to make traditional meals are cumbersome and difficult to use.
An ergonomic, modular set of appliances that lock together for storage and power.
Mothers, ages 45-55, were interviewed about the processes they use to cook homemade spaghetti sauce for their families.
While each recipe varies, each cook uses an immersion blender, a food processor, and an electric can opener.
According to the interviewees, each appliance needs improvement.
- Button is difficult to hold down for long periods of time
- Cord gets in the way while cooking
- Multiple buttons (On & Off are separate) or a sliding switch
- Thinner/lighter materials + Cordless/rechargeable
- Retractable for large and small pots of sauce
- Difficult to open
- Difficult to clean (sharp blades are dangerous)
- Blades are difficult to store
- Press buttons to release compartments instead of twisting compartment open
- Plastic sheath to cover blades
Electric Can Opener
- Does not fit on large cans of tomatoes well
- Opening large cans by hand is exhausting
- Adjustable mechanism width
- Automatic: place on can and let it automatically open lid
- Unify three cooking appliances used to make one meal
- Design modular appliances that assist with making homemade spaghetti sauce
- Improve tools to be ergonomic, comfortable, lighter, & less tiring to use
- Encourage younger generations to cook family recipes by making tools easier to use
- Preserve traditions and family bonding
Research of internal components and SolidWorks models. These appliances will charge through induction (no metal-to-metal contact, similar to electric toothbrushes recharging in a charging dock).
- Provide older generations with lasting kitchen appliances that are easy to operate
- Assist people in cooking traditional meals as people age
- Promote family bonding through teaching younger generations
- Rounded Edges