Expedia Mobile Redesign
A redesign of Expedia’s flight search & selection interface for iPhones.
Expedia as a company wants a consistent brand. Expedia’s customers expect a seamless experience.
Expedia’s mobile website for booking flights does not match their web branding and the experience/features across mobile and web do not align, creating confusion and frustration among users.
A redesign of Expedia’s mobile site to meet customers’ expectations can enhance their experience and lead to more flight bookings from a mobile phone.
#1. Search base-state
#2. Choose origin city
#3. Choose destination city
#4. Choose departure date
#5. Choose return date
#6. Selections made, ready to search
1. Research Expedia as a brand/company
2. Understand Expedia’s users
3. Analyze current screens
4. Ask users which areas are confusing
5. Hand sketches
7. Review by designers & users
Expedia as a Brand
- A travel company used to book flights, hotels, cars, cruises, vacations, and bundle deals
- Founded in 2001 as a fare aggregator and online search tool
- Goal is to change the travel industry & to empower consumers
Mobile screens do not match the look & feel of Expedia’s website
Expedia’s pricing is typically the lowest for bundle deals, but they are not always the least expensive for flights
Expedia has a wide range of customers, but users all have the goal of saving money when they travel
Some users are brand-loyal to Expedia because of past pleasant experiences; other users only look to Expedia when comparing the least expensive travel options
Expedia App review suggests that customers prefer the experience to be “nice, quick, & easy”
- 8,643 reviews: average of 4.6 stars
- current version: 91 reviews, average of 4 stars (Feb. 2017)